We will be hosting the final Open workout, 14.5, this Friday with heats starting at 6pm. Joining us for the final workout of the open season will be fellow CrossFit gym, CrossFit To The Core! After the last heats are finished we will be hosting a potluck (similar to Open WOD 14.1). Whether you are a competitor or a spectator we encourage everyone to attend and partake in the fun! Please bring the dish of your choice to share with your fellow athletes!
CrossFit 949 would like to officially announce that we will be hosting a 30 day ZERO SUGAR challenge beginning April 1st. There will be a $20 buy in and prizes will be given to the Male and Female winners! We will have a town hall meeting on Monday March, 31st at 7pm (barbell club will be cancelled) to go over rules, regulations, buy-ins and measurements. Winnings will be determined based off a series of points, check-ins and measurements.
We will be having our 2nd seminar with Dr. Jorge on Wednesday night, April 2nd, at 7pm which will cover shoulder and mid-back mobility. If you have attended a previous seminar with Dr. Jorge, bring your mobility ball and attendance will be $5.00! If it is your first time attending a seminar with Dr. Jorge, admission will be $10.00 which includes your mobility ball. Bring your ball to any future talks with Jorge and cut your admission in half. There will be a sign-up list at the gym, lets get our mobility on!
Workout of the Day: March 27, 2013
Rx: as is, no modifications.
Rx-1: modify weight of cleans.
Rx-2: modify ring dips.
Rx-3: modify both movements.
Rx-4: modify WOD.
Recipe of the Day: “Taco Pie” (recipe courtesty of: http://www.paleonewbie.com/paleo-taco-pie-recipe/)
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 2 eggs – whisked
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1-2 tbs of the taco seasoning (see above)
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef – browned (grass-fed beef recommended)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 2 tbs taco seasoning (see above)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 oz) of diced tomatoes with green chilies – liquid drained
- 2 avocados – diced
- First combine ingredients for the taco seasoning in a small bowl – set aside
- In a frying pan add 2 tbs of a fat of your choice
- Add ground beef and brown, along with the onions and peppers over medium heat until meat is cooked and the veggies tender
- Drain fat from pan
- Add 2 tbs of the taco seasoning mix
- Next add 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce, and stir
- Simmer awhile to let flavors combine
- Time to make the crust…
- In a medium bowl combine almond flour, whisked eggs and coconut oil into a dough (I used a wooden spoon, then my hands)
- This will make a 9-inch pie crust, or enough for about 4 ramekins
- Grease pie pan or ramekins
- Mix dough and form for which ever vessel you will be using for pie
- Press into pie pan or ramekins to form a crust
- Bake at 350-degrees F unfilled for about 8-10 min
- Remove from oven and add the taco filling from the pan
- Top with some diced tomatoes
- Return to oven and bake at 350-degrees F for another 20 mins
- Top with slices of avocado or whatever garnish you would like
- Break up the crust from the bottom to combine with taco filling
- Eat up!